Even if we can’t articulate it well, we all know what influential presence looks like – it’s that person that walks into a room and immediately draws everyone’s attention (in a good way!) Perhaps you already are that person. Regardless of whether you are the one drawing everyone’s attention or the individual watching it happen, there is always room for creating an even more influential presence.
It’s simple to develop a more commanding presence, and it certainly isn’t easy. Here’s why – your presence is a direct reflection of how you feel about yourself and the situation. This means that what is going on in your head, no matter how much you try to hide it from others, shows up in how you hold yourself. The simple part is… all you need to do is change your mindset. The “not easy” part is because this takes time, commitment, and intention to change your mindset.
Consistently following these five (5) steps will help you develop a more commanding presence enabling you to influence others while having a more positive impact.
- Continually monitor your thoughts. When you have a positive mindset, you feel better about yourself, and you show up as more confident.
- Regularly notice your posture when you sit or stand. To ensure your body language reflects more commanding presence, practice maintaining an erect, yet relaxed stance.
- Western culture has accepted that direct eye contact is a sign of confidence and truth. When you look others in the eye while speaking, it gives a sense of absolute certainty to whatever you’re saying.
- Consistently work on presenting yourself as you wish to be viewed by the world and you’ll be treated accordingly.
- Examine, observe and take note of individuals you think have a commanding and influential presence.
Reflect on how you impact the world around you, how you show up to others, and commit to improving today!